Over the next three weeks, we will be looking at how you can prepare for this New Year. Don’t let it bother you that the year has already started, it is actually easier to plan some things after you have already started. Why? Because you know more about how things are working and the challenges you are facing. I have often said that the best time for Premarital counseling is after the wedding because you really don’t know what marriage is going to be like and what challenges you will face until you are in it. Besides, there is a lot of year left to put these principles in practice.
The first thing you need to do to plan for 2018 is to take an assessment of 2017. As you look back, make sure to avoid either of these mistakes:
- To look back with regret. You can not change the past, the best you can do is to learn from it. If you need to repent of anything you have done, repent but forgive yourself and move on.
- To look back without being honest with yourself or with the Holy Spirit. There is not a human alive who could not have done some things better last year so be honest and realize where you may have missed the mark.
As a Kingdom Business Leader, we are concerned for more than just how much money was made in the last year. We believe in a multiple bottom line, and sustainable approach that includes People, Profit, Planet and Eternity.
So how did you do, not only in your business but in your personal life as well? I encourage you to get out a piece of paper or pull up an electronic notepad and actually write the answer to these questions. I think you will find them helpful.
PEOPLE: The simple question is, “Were the people in my life better off because they are in relationship with me this past year?” Think about your spouse, your kids, your employees, your customers or clients, your suppliers, or your neighbors.
- Did you add to their life or subtract from it?
- What would they say?
- What could you or should you do differently in 2018?
PROFIT: The simple question is, “Were you a good steward of the material possessions God put in your hands this past year?” See if you can answer these questions:
- Were you willing to take the right kind of calculated risk to potentially multiply what God entrusted to you?
- Did you keep careful track of how your investments were doing and what you were spending your resources on?
- Were you diligent, working as though God was your boss, at earning a profit and fulfilling your promises?
- What could you, or should you do better in 2018?
PLANET: The simple question is, “Did you care for the environment around you like you were a steward of it who had to give an account to God?” Write down the answer to these questions:
- Are you being efficient or wasteful in your use of environmental resources?
- Are you acting like a steward or an owner of the physical world around you?
- Are you doing the simple things: recycling, turning off lights, not wasting energy?
- What could you or should you do better in 2018?
ETERNITY: The simple question is, “Do people think better of God because of how you, His child, have displayed His character this year?” We all know that we to live to glorify God. Did you know that this is what it means; to make people think better of Him because of how we reflect who He is? What are your thoughts on these questions:
- To what extent has His character, the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.) been evident in your life this past year?
- If all that your closest friends and family knew about Jesus was what you displayed of Him by your actions, what would they think of Him?
- Have you spend sufficient time with God this year for His nature to “rub off” on you?
- What could you or should you do better in 2018?
So this is step one. It is a great place to start; facing the past year without recrimination but with an open heart and mind. Next we take step two, accessing the resources God has placed in our hands to engage this new year with. We can not be a good steward if we are not acutely aware of what we are stewarding.
If you would like to be notified when the next blog is posted, write me at Randy@nehemiahproject.org.
You are invited to hear Patrice Tsague speak on Facebook Live on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 6 PM – 7 PM EST.
Patrice will be visiting in Virginia area and will be training on how to grow your business. We will also be making this available as a Facebook Live event.
Keys to Kingdom Business Growth Seminar – Do you have a growth plan for 2018? – Growth is something every entrepreneur desires, but most do not proactively plan for it. This seminar will give you a framework for developing a growth plan for 2018 as well as help you identify hindrances for growth and how to overcome them.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify one major hindrance to growing your current business and how to overcome it.
- Identify two keys to growing your business in 2018.
Click below and let us know you will be joining us.
– posted by Randall Sanford